How to prepare test run
Do you want to know more about how to run test cases and why it is should be done? So, this article is for you. Here you will find useful information about test run specifies. We will consider the main points, which can help you to make your test run really effective.
Test run preconditions
At first sight, test run seems to be simple. Just follow the steps of test cases and nothing more. But this is the wrong point of view. Certain preconditions must be fulfilled to start the execution of the test cases.
Here they are:
1. The testing specification has been formed.
2. The test plan has been created.
3. Test cases have been added to the test plan.
4. Test build specification has been created. Here you should mention the next points:
- Test build title.
- Test cases, which are located in this build.
- Test case dependencies on any libraries or data.
5. The test plan has been assigned to testers.
Test run process
They often confuse test run with test case execution. So, let’s clarify the difference between them.
Test case execution is the process of executing its steps and comparing the expected and actual results.
The test run is the more complicated process. As a rule, the test run can contain several test suites (several logically connected test cases) or even whole test plan.
So, we should define the test cases, which will be put into our test run. It would be better to put test cases into the particular groups according to the test plan.
Also, we can form test runs with different level of complexity.
Simple test runs contain test cases, which check the operation of each unit of code (particular classes or small groups of related functions) regardless of its environment. Such test cases should not have external dependencies. They focus on one, separated from everything, functionality. This allows them to provide an exhaustive coverage of low-level code, not available for larger tests.
Limited coverage and lack of external dependencies mean that simple test runs can be performed very quickly. Therefore, they often can be run and quickly find errors.
Sure, we have to create the more complicated test. Let’s call them the middle-level complicated test runs. Unlike to simple test runs, these ones have larger coverage and prolonged run-time. They check the interaction between two or more application modules. These tests can use external data sources. They should be managed through a test infrastructure.
The high-level complicated test runs contain test cases verify the system works as a unit. These tests involve all subsystems: from the user interface to data stores. They can access external resources, such as databases, file systems, and network services.
Timeliness of marks on passing / failing test cases is another important point, which should be mentioned. It is clear, that the test cases execution data should be relevant on the each stage of the testing process. So, the tester has to place an appropriate mark immediately after the test case has been run.
Doing this, you’ll have the relevant info about:
- The total number of the passed test cases.
- The total number of the failed test cases.
- The total number of the blocked test cases.
- Percentage of the total planned amount of the test cases.
- Another metrics derived from these indicators.
Test run result analysis
You can execute your test cases manually or automatically. Anyway, it is better to use some tool for running test cases. Useful tool at least has the following options:
- Tracking the test run results.
- Export these results to the popular formats.
- Sharing these results to all interested person.
- Ability to put test cases into the different logical blocks.
- Automatically generated test run reports.
The last point is the most important. In fact, you need actual information for making the decision about the next steps of your testing process. Based on the test results, you can make adjustments to the test plan.
Let me remember you, that it is better to use some special tool to make your testing process, including test case running, more effective and time-saving. EasyQA test management tool meets not only mentioned before requirements, but also has other merits for running test cases.
So, the main advantages of using EasyQA for running test cases:
- Informative test run form.
- Ability to group test cases from different test plans in one test run.
- Test run status indicator.
- Test cases marking ability.
- Automatically created bug reports for failed test cases.
- Automatically generated test run report.
Want to know more about how to run test cases? Follow this link – https://geteasyqa.com/how-to/how-to-run-test-cases/
Running the test cases is the most “testing” part of the software testing process. Hope, you have known something new about the test run. Let’s summarize some tips for the effective running the tests:
- Put logically connected test cases in the one test run.
- Verify all required preparations have been done before starting the test run.
- Try to avoid test cases dependencies.
- Don’t forget to mark passed/failed/blocked test cases.
- Use special tools for test running.
- Analyze test run reports.
Anyway, practice is the best way not only to test yourself, but also to get new knowledge and experience. So,